This is a list of tips for upgrading to the latest version of mutt (currently 1.6).
- There is a problem with the new idna code when mutt is compiled without iconv support. Users without iconv support are advised not to upgrade until we release a bug fix release, (1.6.1) in a few weeks. Sorry about that.
Upgrading from 1.5.x
- First, be sure to take a look at the UPDATING document at http://www.mutt.org/doc/UPDATING
- Folder-hooks and mailbox-hooks apply mailbox shortcuts to the first character. Be sure to review https://dev.mutt.org/doc/manual.html#mailbox-hook if you are seeing a warning current mailbox shortcut '^' is unset.
- Several suggested GPG and S/MIME configuration options have changed over the 1.5.x series. Most recently, $pgp_decryption_okay was added, and the $smime_sign_command was modified to include a message digest argument. If you use these, please take a look at the gpg.rc and smime.rc files in the contrib subdirectory.
- $mail_check_recent controls whether all unread mail or only new mail since the last mailbox visit will be reported as new. If buffy isn't reporting what you expect, try changing the value of this option.
- If you are using GnuPG 2.1, be sure to 'set pgp_use_gpg_agent'. Version 2.1 includes an agent that is run automatically as needed. Also, be aware that mutt is curses program: it supports the curses-pinentry program, but not the tty-pinentry program.
Upgrading from 1.4.x
- First, be sure to take a look at the changes document at http://www.mutt.org/changes.html